What is the answer to ….
1. describe the relationship between escaping tendency of liquid molecules and vapor pressure
2. Define the following terms:?
a) boiling point
b) normal boiling point
3. using Dalton’s law, explain why a fresh cup of tea made with boiling water is not as hot at higher altitudes as it is at sea level.
4. at a given temperature, liquid A has a higher vapor pressure than liquid B. Which liquid has the higher boiling point?
5. Explain why the boiling point at 760 torr of a solution of water , b.p 100 oC (760 torr), and ethylene glycol (HOCH2CH2OH) , B.P 196-198 oC (760 torr) exceeds 100 oC. For purposes of your answer, consider ethylene glycol as a nonvolatile liquid.
6. Why should there be no droplets of water in the oil of a heating bath?
7. why is the microboiling point technique not applicable for b.p in excess of 200 oC if mineral oil rather than silicone oil is the heating fluid in the Thiele tube?
8. A rotary evaporator is a device frequently used in the laboratory to remove solvent quickly under vacuum.
a) Why is it possible to effect the removal of solvent at temperatures below their normal boiling points using this device?
b) Other than being faster than simple distillation for removing a given volume of solvent, why might this type of distillation be preferred for isolating a desired product?