Rust). Because My teacher said: (( Outside sources are NOT allowed—I want YOUR personal opinions/ideas/etc. If your turnitin report indicates you lifted some, or all, of your paper from another source–especially Wikipedia, Sparknotes, or Shmoop.com and online paper-writing services—it can result in a 0 on the paper and failure for the course.)) So, because of that I prefer to use a hard-copy of this book.
– Meyer, Philipp. American Rust.
many of you may be thinking about the response paper. The general direction that I included on the response paper handout was:
Try to consider what makes that novel a Coming-of-Age Story (or perhaps why it is not a Coming of Age Story). Focus on the protagonist some key events in the novel(s). What I do not want is a “book report” or a summary of the plot of the novel,
I purposely left the topic a bit vague to give students leeway to write about what they want to. If you find the above instructions too vague, consider the following possible topics:
Some potential essay topics for the American Rust response paper:
1) Discuss whether or not you think this book qualifies as a “coming of age” tale (remember: the ages of the two protagonists are a bit older than the typical coming of age character).
2) Compare Poe or Isaac with one of the other protagonists from the first two books we looked at
3) Compare Poe with Isaac with regards to which (or it could also be neither or both) most sucessfully came of age by the end of the novel and why.
4) Compare the influence of the setting in American Rust (early 21st century American rust belt) with that of The Catcher in the Rye (mid-twentieth century New York), and that of Northanger Abbey (turn of the 17th to 18t century England). How did the varying times and places affect what happened in the stories and/or how the protagonists came of age.
5) Discuss the function of supporting characters like Grace, Chief Harris, and Henry English in illuminating the coming of age process for Isaac and/or Poe.
6) Compare some of the supporting characters from American Rust with those in the first two novels we studied. Do you see any similarity in function of some of these characters? Does their influence vary from novel to novel?
7) Compare the narrative style of American Rust (close 3rd person which varies in point of view from chapter to chapter) to that of Catcher (1st person) and that of Northanger Abbey (3rd person from Catherine’s point-of-view, but not quite as close [meaning Austen does not go into Catherine’s thoughts and feelings as deeply as Meyer does with his narration [which resembles 1st person more than 3rd]. How does each style give a unique look at the coming of age process?
Please keep in mind that you are discouraged from researching your paper. I want your thoughts, not what Wikipedia says. Also, you need to write a paper organized around a clear thesis. If you simply write a summary of the plot, you will not receive a passing grade.
I realize few, if any, of you are English majors. But as college students, you are all capable of writing well-thought out, organized, grammatically sound papers. Do your best!
The paper will deal with one of the novels we’ve studied in class. Try to consider what makes that novel a Coming-of-Age Story (or perhaps why it is not a Coming of Age Story). Focus on the protagonist some key events in the novel(s). What I do not want is a “book report” or a summary of the plot of the novel (possibly lifted from Wikipedia or Sparknotes). I want your thoughts and ideas. That is the point of this class—to think critically and creatively. You can use our online discussions as a jumping off point for your paper, or I will provide some possible ideas to pursue for novel.
This response paper should be 850-1250 words, in length and should be organized around a clear and specific thesis statement. You are required to include a “References” or “Works Cited” page at the end and document your sources properly using MLA style which should consist solely of the novel you are writing about for that paper. Outside sources are NOT allowed—I want YOUR personal opinions/ideas/etc. If your turnitin report indicates you lifted some, or all, of your paper from another source–especially Wikipedia, Sparknotes, or Shmoop.com and online paper-writing services—it can result in a 0 on the paper and failure for the course. Plagiarism on paper (intentional or unintentional) can result in a 0 on the paper and automatic failure of the course.
You will be graded on:
1. Clear, coherent thesis that ties the paper together and that you focus on throughout.
2. Ability to clearly analyze a pieces of literature.
3. Ability to use specific examples from the text and/or quote from text to support the points you make.
4. Proper documentation of sources—to include in-text citations and “References” or “Works Cited” page. [***Please note: a minimum of 11 points will be deducted from your essay grade for not including correct end references. Please refer to my examples below if you have questions***].
5. Correct grammar, spelling, punctuation and syntax
• Give your essay a title to appear at the top of page one. Paginate, and put your name in the header.
• Double-space your entire essay AND throughout each end “References” entry.
1. Response Paper — Meyer, Philipp. American Rust ((Meyer, Philipp. American Rust)).